Not showing up in StyleCopSettingsEditor

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Hi.

I really like the additional naming rules that have multiple possible patterns. I've been unsuccessful at getting SC+ to show up in the editor though unless I run it as admin. How can I fix that? This is Windows 7 with UAC. Visual Studio happily adds the SC+ rules, but the editor for some reason won't show the tab.

Also, it would be nice to be able to add a naming run for all uppercase and no '_' for things like an 'API' class.

Coordinator
Mar 25, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Hi Skott,

Thank you for the feedback!

Regarding settings editor - do you get some error message or not?
Also could you please try to unblock the file?
http://stylecopplus.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Quick%20Start%20Guide#Troubleshooting

Regarding "naming run" - did you mean a new kind of macro (e.g. AA)?

If so, could you please share the exact text for rule you would like to have?
(i mean like this
    $(AaBb)
    Action_$(AaBb)_Do
    Action_$(AaBb)_IsAvailable
)

It will help me to understand the needs more deeply.

Best regards,
Oleg Shuruev

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:22 PM

No error messages. The file never showed up as blocked (I checked straight after the install). 

For the naming 'rule' (sorry - 'naming run' was a typo) I was thinking $(AABB) to allow all uppercase with no underscore. Not essential by any means, and way lower priority than having the rules show up and merge properly. :)

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:35 PM

I should clarify 'Visuals Studio happily adds the SC+ rules'. I meant that when VS runs StyleCop the rules are applied. Also, if I select StyleCop Settings from within VS the SC+ tab is displayed, so it's only running StyleCopSettingsEditor that seems problematic.

I just tried a few more things, and it appears that only running StyleCopSettingsEditor via a file association (i.e. double clicking on a Setttings.StyleCop file) is broken. If I drag the default Settings.StyleCop file onto StyleCopSettingsEditor the SC+ tab shows up. If I double click a Settings.StyleCop file it doesn't. I double checked and the file association is to the correct StyleCopSettingsEditor.exe.

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Hi Skott,

Sorry for the delay - I was extremely busy.

Seems that I found the reason of this behaviour. It may happen if you're using some recent StyleCop version.
There is a minor bug that it installs two copies of SettingsEditor.exe when you choose to install MSBuild integration.

One of them is in C:\Program Files\MSBuild\StyleCop\v4.5 and the other is in C:\Program Files\StyleCop 4.5.

By default, *.StyleCop files are associated with editor placed under MSBuild folder. So if you open them via double-click, that editor loads (and it seems not having StyleCop+ DLL in that folder).
But if you call editor from VS, editor from Program Files is being used, so everything works fine.

As a result, a workaround is simple - just copy StyleCop+ DLL in ...\MSBuild\StyleCop\... folder. Or change file associations manually.
Anyway this bug in StlyeCop installer seems to be fixed soon.

Regarding naming macro - I surely think about it.

Also I will check using linked settings files. There is a chance that this kind of merging doesn't work indeed - thank you for pointing it out!

Best regards,
Oleg Shuruev

Coordinator
May 4, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Hi again,

Today I released StyleCop+ 1.1 which is compiled over StyleCop 4.5.13.

It contains new naming macros $(AABB) and $(aabb).

Regarding linked settings file - seems that it works fine (as well as in StyleCop).
Could you please check it and create a new issue if the problem still exists?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Oleg Shuruev