Configuration under Vista

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:19 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Fista ähm ... Vista drives me crazy again. I configured StyleCop+ under a XP Professional machine for use with StyleCop 4.3 which works fine.

Since I need the same configuration on a Vista development machine I also done the assembly bindings but I receive the following error message when opening a project:

An exception occured while loading one of the StyleCop add-ins: System.IO.FileNotFoundException,
Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.StyleCop, Version 4.3.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyDoken=31bf3856ad364e35'
or one of its dependencies. The System cannot find the file specified.

So it seems that assemlby binding in devenv.exe.config is ignored ...

The following funny behavior I have on that file:

When I open it using Notepad++ I see the correct content including the assembly bindings. But when I open the same file using Notepad or VS2005 I see the old version of the file ...

It seems that UAC or other smart Vista feature avoids that I change the devenv.exe.config file ...

I also tried to run VS2005 explicitly as administrator + changing ACL for that file but without solving the problem ...

How can I change(!) .config files under Vista?

Kind Regards,
Harald-René Flasch

PS: it is a Vista related problem

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:13 PM
A workaround which works for me: Set the r (read-only) file attribute for .config files so that Fista doesn't change it back to the original one.
Coordinator
Aug 6, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately, I have no idea what Vista features can prevent editing config files.
Just tried to edit assembly bindings for VS2005 using Vista - everything works fine.

Can you create another text file in VS folder? Can you edit it?

Best regards,
Oleg Shuruev